Rwanda has a population of approximately 11.3 million people which is dominated by young people with a median age of 19 years and a population growth rate of 2.6%. The GDP of the economy is 4,685 Billion Rwanda Francs (at constant 2011 prices) with an average growth rate of 7.12% over the last 5 years.
The Rwanda constitution stipulates that everyone has the following rights:
• right to work
• free choice of employment
• favorable condition of work
• protection against unemployement
• social welfare and social justice
• right to protection
• protection against descrimination
• protection against vulnerability
It is because of the need to respect the above rights that social protection and employment policies were developed to be reviewed.